Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Qwikster?

So this morning, I alone with countless other netflix subscribers awoke to an email from Netflix CEO Reed Hastings; something long overdue in my opinion about the recent price changes occurring with Netflix. See, starting September 1st, the Netflix streaming service and DVD by mail service was split between two separate services, meaning if you wanted both streaming and DVDs you had to pay separately for both instead of having an all in one package. The advent of this left many Netflix users upset and outraged, they were once paying 9.99 a month for the basic deal of unlimited streaming and 1 dvd a month, and now they have to pay 16.99 for both. Well, Netflix CEO emailed everyone announcing the reason they decided to separate the two services. See, Netflix has decided to change the name of the DVD service, renaming it to Qwikster. Netflix itself would remain solely for the streaming service. This means for DVD management you would have to go to the Qwikster website and manage your DVD Queue from there. Netflix's website will be used solely for streaming. Is this a good thing? Not entirely sure myself, I wasn't using the DVD service for a long time when I had both services, but when I canceled the DVD service because of the price change I found myself wishing I still had it. Certain television shows became instantly more appealing and desirable because I no longer had the service. But the new management service isn't so bad. In this case Netflix and Qwikster are both operated by the same company, but now you can have two separate charges on your account for them. And they are both operated independently. It will be interesting to see how Netflix and Qwikster operate now that they are separate entities.

No comments:

Post a Comment